We caught up with one of Percy and Reed‘s top Stylists: Andrew John and quizzed him about his life as a hairdresser for one of our favourite brands. We also asked him what hair trends would be big this season amongst other things.
Here’s what he had to say:
1) What do you love most about your role as Colour Director for Percy & Reed?
I’ve been the colour director @ Percy &Reed for 5 years , what I love about my role that its always changing ,from one day I can be teaching the new generation of P&R their very 1st colour application, to working on London fashion week . I love how my role can be many things .
2) How did you get into hairdressing?
When I was 14 I got a Saturday job @ my local salon washing hair and fell in love with the industry .
3) What do you think makes Percy & Reed stand out against all the other hair care brands on the market?
When I look @ the P&R product I just want them in my bathroom . But not only do they look fantastic they really work and deliver great results, very easy for client to use . I think they stand out for being a modern classic.
4) What is your favourite product in the Percy & Reed range and why?
My favorite product I have 3 , the no oil, oil for fine and thick hair AMAZING for taming hair , for adding volume , shine its a must have . Also I’m a massive fan of our hairspray , its so fine but delivers great hold.
5) What are the big hair cut and colour trends we are likely see in 2013?
Ombre’ was the biggest colour trend for 2012 , for 2013 we will see this move forward with more contrasting tone, bold colours layered together like strong oranges bold black a more punchy feel. Hair cuts we will see strong fringes sat with more gentle long hair.
6) What hairstyles are big on the catwalk and on trend at the moment?
For S/S 2013 we saw super straight looks @ Emilio ,Pucci and Derek Lami with little details where the hair had been pulled back to low maintenance messy manes @ Balmain and Lavin .
7) Have you had any disasters when it comes to your own hair colour?
I have naturally red hair , so when I just started my career I thought I would look great blond, well it was screaming yellow, not a great look.
8) What top tips would you give people wanting to change their hair colour?
If you are looking for a colour change go and have a thorough colour consultation and take picture of hair colours you like.
9) What tips would you give for looking after dry/ brittle blonde hair.
Have regular hair cuts 6 – 8 weeks, also use a great treatment @ home once a week , the Percy &Reed TLC treatment is amazing come with a plastic bonnet it intensifies the mask for better results.
10) What advice would you give to someone who wants to get into the hairdressing industry?
Find yourself a great salon offering an apprenticeship and stay motivated.
All great answers, thanks Andrew!
Take a look at the entire Percy and Reed Range here.