We then picked our ten favourite questions and put them to Jo – here’s what she had to say!
1) In the summer I want to keep my hair hydrated but not weighed down by product what would you recommend to keep it healthy in the heat?
I would recommend an intensive masque once a week and then use a leave-in conditioner after you wash your hair in between. The masque will provide intensive nourishment and keep your hair glossy and healthy and the Jo Hansford Expert Colour Care Leave-In Conditioner also contains UV filters to protect your hair from the sun and keep your colour looking vibrant.
2) What are your top tips for keeping your colour-treated hair vibrant for longer?
Always use a shampoo and conditioner that are specifically for coloured hair. They have the best ingredients to protect and prolong your colour. Our Expert Colour Care range contains Blue Lupin Peptides, scientifically proven to keep your hair colour fast for up to 30 washes. Make sure you always look after you hair in the same way as you do your skin, keep it covered when out in the sun and use an intensive hair masque at least once a week to re-hydrate.
3) I’m currently going lighter in colour. Do you think I should just go dark because of breakage?
Not necessarily, make sure that you are using treatments to add moisture and to nourish your hair. Going lighter in colour should be a gradual process, re-evaluate with your colourist if you feel your hair is becoming damaged and give your hair a break from styling and using heated appliances
4) I’ve recently had a baby and already I am noticing a change in my hair. It’s getting drier, particularly at the ends. Are there any fantastic products you can recommend that will make my hair feel super soft again?
The Jo Hansford Illuminoil is a fabulous lightweight oil that will instantly make your hair feel soft and shiny. It is a great multi-tasking product and can also be used as a scalp treatment or intensive conditioning treatment as it will not leave your hair greasy.
5) What products would you recommend for split ends?
Our Jo Hansford Intensive masque is the perfect product for nourishing dry split ends. We also offer an in-salon treatment – the Split End Solution – which uses keratin to seal the ends of your hair and fight split ends.
6) I’m currently a brunette but I’m looking to go lighter, what are your top tips for keep my hair healthy after lightening?
Weekly treatments are essential. Make sure you have a comprehensive consultation with your colourist before starting a colour change. Taking your hair lighter should be a gradual process to avoid damaging your hair. I always recommend that my clients take a visit to a wig shop to check a colour would suit them before making any changes.
7) I have extremely fine hair and can never get the right volume, do you have any quick tips to increase volume at the roots?
Start by using a volumising shampoo and conditioner, such as the Jo Hansford Volumising duo. To add volume at the roots, dry your hair in sections using a round brush, lifting from the roots. Velcro or heated rollers are another great and simple way to add volume and movement into fine hair. Backcombing is another great way to get volume at the roots.
8) My hair gets greasy very quickly, do you have any tips/products to keep my hair cleaner for longer?
Dry shampoos are great for in-between washes and preventing the need to wash your hair every day. The Jo Hansford Leave-in Conditioner is super lightweight and perfect for using on the mid-lengths and ends of your hair to avoid having too much product at the roots whilst at the same time conditioning your hair at the ends.
9) I have ombré hair and my ends are starting to look slightly damaged – what would you recommend to keep both my crown and ends healthy?
When shampooing, massage the shampoo into the roots and rinse through to your ends so that you are not vigorously rubbing the damaged ends. Then, use the Jo Hansford Intensive Masque weekly and leave on for around 10 minutes to allow intense hydration. Be careful when rough drying your hair too, and give you hair a break from the heated appliances every now and then.
10) I’m always scared to use oil as it weighs my hair down, can you recommend any techniques to make it lighter on my hair?
Dry your hair with a round brush to add volume at the roots and then dispense a small pump of Jo Hansford Illuminoil into the palms of your hands. Rub your hands together to heat the oil and then gently comb your fingers through your mid-lengths and ends to distribute the oil evenly.
We hope the lovely Jo has answered some of your hair care related questions! We don’t know about you, but we’re off to shop the full Jo Hansford range – available on HQhair with free delivery!